Zoning FAQs

//Zoning FAQs

Coffee County, Franklin County and the City of Tullahoma have different rules for developing property. Therefore, it is very important to determine which jurisdiction your property is located in. To get information:
Visit the State of Tennessee's Property Data Page. Under General Information, the city will be listed, if not, property is located in county.
• Stop at the Current Planning Division located in the City of Tullahoma 321 N. Collins Street, Tullahoma, TN
• Call the Planning Department at (931) 455-2282

Each zone is shown on the official zoning map. The zoning ordinance contains zone district that states permitted uses and design information pertaining to setbacks, density, structure height, lot size, etc. The City consists of the following zoning districts:
• AGRICULTURAL A General Agricultural District
• OPEN SPACE OS-1 Open Space Preservation District
• R-1 Low Density Residential District
• R-1A Large Lot Residential District
• R-2 Medium Density Residential District
• R-3 High Density Residential District
• R-4 High Density Residential/ Mobile Home Park District
• C-1 Central Commercial District
• C-2 General Commercial District
• C-3 Neighborhood Commercial District
• I-1 Restricted Manufacturing and Warehousing District
• I-2 Heavy Industrial District
• Floodway District
• AO-1 Airport Overlay District
• HO-1 Historic Overlay District
View our zoning map or zoning district schedules.

You should check with the Planning Department whenever you propose to: build or alter a structure; change the nature of the use that is to take place on a given property (e.g., residential use to commercial use, or one kind of business activity to another); hold a temporary event, or anything else that could have some impact upon other properties. To find out if you need to apply for a zoning permit, call the Call the Planning Department at (931) 455-2282.

Zoning regulations for property development in Tullahoma is governed by the Zoning Ordinance and the Subdivision Regulations. There are also Building Division codes, Air Quality standards, Health District standards, Public Works regulations, and Fire Department codes you may need to comply with. Please note that other departments and agencies may also need to be contacted for development of a property.
To view the Zoning Ordinance and the Subdivision Regulations please see our Planning and Zoning section on this page.
You can also speak with the Planner to ask specific questions about your project:
• Stop at the Current Planning Division located in the City of Tullahoma
321 N. Collins Street, Tullahoma, TN
• Call the Planning Department at (931) 455-2282

You can call the Planner for general information but we can serve you much better if you submit drawings/plans first, and/or make an appointment to discuss your plan in person. The Planner will give you the best guidance she can, but ultimately the responsibility to comply with the Zoning Ordinance rests with the property owner. Unfortunately, no set of regulations can foresee every kind of circumstance, and there is always the possibility of varying interpretation.

A Comprehensive Land Use Plan is an overall development guide for specific areas of Tullahoma. It provides the appropriate mix of residential, commercial and industrial uses in a logically transitioned pattern. It is used to decide if proposed development is in conformance with the plan.

If you have a property with a building or use on it that has been established for quite a while but does not meet (conform to) our zoning regulations (maybe setbacks, height, property size, etc.), or you have a business that is not expressly permitted for a given zone district and that building or business existed prior to the zoning regulation - you may have a "non-conforming" building or business. It may therefore be "grandfathered" and allowed to continue and to some extent potentially expanded. Please note that any changes to a non-conforming building or use must first be approved by the Tullahoma Planner. In such a case, you must provide convincing evidence that proves when the non-conformity came into existence. This might include: business records, pictures, affidavits, etc.

By |2020-12-18T22:02:00+00:00December 18th, 2020|Uncategorized|Comments Off on Zoning FAQs